vendor ad pgh bride talk

+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator DJ/Entertainer ** DJ Rockin Steve's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Getting Married in Allegheny County.

courthouse.jpgIf you are getting married in Allegheny County this year and need information on getting your marriage license, then you have come to the right place.

Getting started. You will need to apply for your marriage license 2-3 weeks prior to the big wedding day, (although they are valid for 60 days). There is a three day waiting period (Please keep in mind this excludes weekends and holidays) between application and the license being issued.

Allegheny residents applying for a marriage license must BOTH apply in person at the
    Department of Court Records
    Wills/Orphans' Court Division
    Marriage License Bureau
    1st Floor, City-County Building
    414 Grant Street Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Their hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Wednesday until 7:30 pm, with the exception of holidays. NOTE: No applications will be done after 4:00 pm except on Wednesday.

A photo ID is required along with a completed marriage application. Once completed there is a 3 day waiting period (PA law required) until the license is issued. The license may then be mailed to you (no additional cost) if you wish to avoid another trip downtown. If you wish, either of you or a friend may pick up your license once it is ready.

A marriage license issued in Allegheny County may be used anywhere in the state of Pennsylvania. Likewise a license issued elsewhere in PA may be valid in Allegheny County.

If you were previously married then you must furnish a certified copy of the Decree of Divorce dissolving the marriage. A certified copy of the divorce decree, issued by the courts will contain a seal. If you need a certified copy of a divorce decree, it may be obtained by contacting the Family Division of the Court in which the decree was granted (Civil/Family Division if decree was granted in Allegheny County).

If you are a widow/widower you must provide proof of death of your former spouse. There is an additional $5.00 fee (per decree) added to the standard marriage license.

Both applicants must be 18 years old or older to apply for a license. If you are 16-18 years old then you will need accompanied by the custodial parent/guardian to provide parental consent. Applicants under 16 years of age must have BOTH the written consent of the custodial parent/guardian and the written approval of a judge of the Orphans' Court Division of the Court of Common Pleas.

If your fiance is your brother/sister or are related up to and including first cousins, sorry but you are not permitted to get married, at least not in PA.

As of this posting the fees for marriage licenses are;
    The fees for a Marriage License vary from county to county. Allegheny County fees, including Pennsylvania taxes and surcharges, are as follows:
    Computer Fee $27.00
    Allegheny County Fee 22.50
    Pennsylvania Writ Tax .50
    Court Technology Fee 5.00
    Act 151 Surcharge 10.00
    Act 222 Surcharge 10.00
    TOTAL $75.00 (CASH ONLY)
    Additional Fee per Divorce Decree $5.00 (CASH ONLY)

Your priest, pastor, reverend or officiant who is marrying you must file the Marriage Return with the Marriage License Bureau which issued the license, within 10 days of the date of the ceremony. A marriage record will not exist if the officiant who performs the marriage fails to file this document. If you like and upon request, the Marriage License Bureau will inform you whether their marriage return has been filed and recorded.

If you wish to have a duplicate marriage license contact the Allegheny County Marriage License Bureau. Certified copies are also available by contacting the county in which they were married.

If you have any questions concerning the application of marriage, you may contact the Marriage License Bureau at (412) 350-4230.

For a copy of the marriage license click http://www.alleghenycounty.us/wo/marriageapp.pdf
    True love stories never have endings.-Richard Bach

Blog Entries
    For any Brides and Grooms getting married here is an article with information about the procedure to get your marriage license in Pennsylvania.

What Do I Need to Do as an Offiiant?

My friends asked me to marry them so I became an officiant online and have my certificate...now I need to fill out a document...what document and where do I get it to register their wedding and myself? It is in Allegheny County. I'd like to do this online as I live outside of town. I know the first post said I need to fill out a 'Marriage Return' not sure what that is. They are getting married in a month and a half and not sure if they need their marriage license first or not??? Thanks for the help. Anything else I may need to do; please let me know! Thank you

Blog Entries
    John welcome to Pittsburgh Bride Talk. I have a good friend that is a pastor, I'll ask him later tonight or tomorrow when I see him.

Good for you to marry your friends. If you can it may help you a lot to go to a ceremony or two and discretely take notes.

Blog Entries
    John the document you are speaking of is the 3 part marriage license. Your bride and groom will get this from the Dept. Of Courts Records in downtown Pittsburgh.

It's 3 parts. The first part is their license you will sign, date and file with the Dept. of Courts after the ceremony.
    Part 2 is a license for the bride and groom. It technically is of no importance, just something nice for the couple to keep.
    The 3rd is a document of information about you and your business that the Dept. of Courts needs. It's your name, address, affiliation* etc. for the court to keep on record.

*Affiliation-This is where you would place the church or your religious name for the courts to recognize. Churches with a building are recognized without question because they are a physical location. You will need to come up with if not already, a name for your business or entity. ex. John's House Of God, or The Outdoors Religious Group etc.

The courts used to check to verify the legitimacy of these businesses but nowadays they probably won't.

I'm sure once the couple gives you the marriage license it will make more sense.

Hey Where's the ceremony going to be? Around here or will it be a destination wedding? Give us some details. I love weddings.

Summer

+ Reply to Thread